30 de marzo de 2012

Mississippi Mud Pie

As I mentioned before one week before my birthday I pre-celebrated it with my friends from college. I invited them over thinking we could all enjoy the good weather in my garden and that I could make something very Spanish like paella. My first paella. For 12. 



Not surprisingly things did not go as I had planned in my head. It was actually cold outside and my paella... well... we ate it but it wasn't like a real paella, it was more like a lot of overly cooked rice with vegetables on it.

Given the fiasco in the main dish we were all entirely relaying on the cake. You see… I seem to have a problem repeating recipes and thus, I tend to try something new almost every time I bake so I had no idea how this would turn out.

And...

I completely fell in love.

I have no words.


Well... I do have words, I always do but this was seriously too good to be true.

I had never tried a Mississippi mud pie before so I have no idea if it turned out like it should have but it was amazing! It has a layer of chocolate cake, another one of chocolate pudding and all of that hold by an Oreo crust and, to top it all up, whipped cream.

TO.DIE.FOR.

The pictures don’t really make justice and you can’t see the pudding but it was there!

I did change something though: I didn’t add the coffee powder as I hate, really hate coffee. What I did was that I substituted the amounts with cocoa powder, yes, more chocolate is always a great option.

Here's the recipe, despite the amount of work it has I think it's totally worth it and something that I will (and that's for sure) make again, and again, and again.

20 comentarios:

  1. I hate coffee as well! We are a very rare breed. Your cake looks amazing. I love the depth of colour, the richness and the layers. That is an exceptional birthday cake and I'm sure, if I was there, I would have had to ask you for a second slice! xx

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I´ve been wanting to try a pie like this forever. Guess I should just do it!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I've never made a Mississippi Mud Pie but I've definitely enjoyed eating them from time to time. Yours looks amazing! So glad you enjoyed it!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. My mouth is watering, that looks so great!

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Wow. That looks sooo good! I love chocolate :)

    ResponderEliminar
  6. I love Mississippi Mud Pie and haven't had it in ages. Yours looks fantastic! So glad everyone enjoyed it.

    ResponderEliminar
  7. OMG, I believe you - this looks to die for!

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Looks like an amazingly delicious pie!

    ResponderEliminar
  9. ME HE QUEDADO ALUCINADA DE COMO QUEDOO!!! YO QUIEROO!

    ResponderEliminar
  10. Why worry about a main course for dinner when you have a cake like that? It looks really delicious.

    ResponderEliminar
  11. Hey Mire,
    i think you should bring that cake to IBWE! I miss you and your baking ;)
    KISSES
    Katharina

    ResponderEliminar
  12. I forgot you said you were gonna make this for your bday, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Wasn't it amazing?! My favorite part was all the different textures - the crunchy cookie crust, the fudgy cake, the silky pudding...it all went together so perfectly :)

    ResponderEliminar
  13. I guess this "pie" was named after the rich dark soil of the banks of the Mississippi river, but I've only seen the pie!

    ResponderEliminar
  14. Happy Birthday, Mireia!

    I don't like coffee, either, so I love the option of adding cocoa instead. This looks beautifully decadent.

    I do hope that you'll feature your Paella one day!

    ResponderEliminar
  15. Mireia, this looks so good! Sorry I missed your birthday... I hope it was fun! I want a bite of this cake NOW! I hope you had fun.

    ResponderEliminar
  16. Es un pie bastante interesante, nunca lo había visto...pero yo sí le pondría café, me encanta el café...

    ResponderEliminar
  17. Happy Birthday and I can't imagine a birthday cake any better than that one!

    ResponderEliminar
  18. Hey! One more comment haha. I nominated you for the Liebster award (thought I'm not sure how many followers you have!) See the post here: http://ovenmittsblog.com/2012/04/02/news/

    ResponderEliminar
  19. Wow, what a cake. It looks wonderful.

    ResponderEliminar
  20. Mississippi Mud Pie is AMAZING! I've had many kinds here but I wish I could try yours.

    ResponderEliminar